Monday 30 September 2013

Cultural Differences by Yang Liu

Yang Liu was born in China, but left aged 13 for Germany. Now, as an artist and visual designer, she has channeled her experience of both cultures into a series of infographic images, juxtaposing some of the core values and perspectives of each society. For me, having grown up in a Western culture but with roots in Chinese culture, I feel that Yang Liu has successfully captured some of the contrasts between the two without implying one side is immediately better than the other. In the red corner, we have China, in the blue corner, Germany. 

Lifestyle: Independent vs. dependent
Through from my psychology A-level to my translation test in Haiyang University, I've constantly had to read about the individualistic nature of Western society. This sentiment has normally been phrased in language such as 'people in the West are more independent, whereas in the East they have a collectivist society so will act in terms of the greater good for all'. I would say that in China the family unit is generally much stronger than a family in the UK, and a Chinese family tends to extend beyond the nuclear family. However I am hesitant in agreeing with 'the Chinese act for the greater good', because it runs the risk of implying Westerners are willing to cut the throats of their peers, friends and family to get what they want. I'm not saying these people do not exist, but that they are not exclusive to one culture.  

Connections and contacts 
One of my favourites. Connections and contacts (关系 guanxi) play a big part in not just job seeking, but in shopping or even going to the doctor.

Three meals a day

The Chinese, especially the older generations, believe hot food is better for you. For example, hot tea accompanies a meal, and it is easier to get a glass of 开水 (kaishui) boiled water than it is to get a glass of water with ice.

Size of the individual’s ego 
Elderly in day to day life 
This is perhaps one of the aspects I miss about China. The elderly are venerated there in a way that just doesn't happen in the UK. Only 4% of China's elderly live in care homes. They are also far more visible, they meet up to play cards, chat, do taichi, dance, and accompany their grandchildren.

Complexity of self-expression 
Moods and weather 
At a party 
Attitude towards punctuality 
How to stand in line 
SO MANY BAD MEMORIES. I'M LOOKING AT YOU, EVERY AIRPORT IN CHINA. This is so true it's stressing me out just looking at it. 

Noise level inside a restaurant 
Ideal of beauty 
Animals 
Traveling and recording memories 
Problem-solving approach  
The boss

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I LOVE it! I have always been interested in other cultures. Can you suggest any other blogs like yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ainsley, I don't know many other blogs like mine, but I can recommend http://eastasiastudent.net/ which was created by a guy in the year above me. His site has a strong language and translation focus if you are looking to start learning mandarin. I absolutely love http://www.theworldofchinese.com/ which has a great mix of current news stories (often with an online focus) and larger cultural/historical articles. If you are interested in current Chinese affairs, I recommend signing up for the sinocism newsletter (https://sinocism.com/)

      Delete