Saturday 17 November 2012

Petty Romance and Korean Romances



Another perk of working for UK based Asian film distributor, Terracotta Films, was watching this hidden gem of a film: Petty Romance. I read another blog focusing on the inadequacies of the film's name, but that doesn't even cover it. Terracotta's founder and director is (a great guy) committed to bringing Asian film to UK audiences, but this film was such a marketing conundrum for him and his team. I'm guessing most people reading this haven't watched the film, but if I say to you Petty Romance, the name doesn't really sell itself. Not only that, but it doesn't tell you anything about the characters, the motifs, or even the film's ambience. Whereas, the best thing about Chen Kai Ge's 2011 offering of 'Caught in the Web' was its name. Seriously. Now I've mentioned it, forget it, it's not worth remembering.

So, overlooking the mediocrity of Petty Romance as a title, I'm here to sell this film to you. The leading characters' lives converge when they are forced together by money troubles; Da-Rim has just been fired from her job as a sex columnist for extravagant lies and a hyperactive imagination. Soon after, during an argument with her brother she swears she will move out of his flat. On the other hand, Jung-Bae is an unsuccessful manga artist, although he lacks no skill in the drawing department, his plot-lines fail to impress. His father was also an artist, who only achieved posthumous recognition. In order to save his father's portrait of his mother, Jung-Bae has to find a huge sum of money to buy it off his corrupt uncle.

This is where a main element of the story comes in; manga. More importantly, an international manga competition where the winners could bag enough money to, say, buy a portrait AND buy your own flat. Of course this isn't just any old manga competition, it's adult manga. Desperate to win the prize-money, Jung-Bae advertises for a story writer. This is where over-imaginative sex columnist Da-Rim steps in to save the day. Except not really. Because she's actually still a virgin. And lying about most of her work experience. She's also demanding, a bit of a drama queen, and gets on Jung-Bae's nerves.

However, they actually balance out each others problems and realise that only together they can create a manga capable of winning. Manga is woven artfully into the film by having several brief scenes with animation, giving the film a playful and unconventional edge. Not only this, but it strips back the conventions and tropes of the romance genre; we see the leading lady poor a bottle of water on herself before knocking on Jung-Bae's door for pity, even though it's not raining. Hell, we even see her in a toilet scene, which has to be a first for a female Korean protagonist, whose only bodily function seems to be exuding beauty. Romance fans, don't worry, you've still got some kissing-in-the-rain scenes you can squeal at.

Then obviously you're going to have the romantic complication. I'm not going to give it away, but while watching the film with my boyfriend, he turned to me with a worried look on his face and said, "are they going to get together at the end?". I watched this film with my mother, and we had a riot. I was confident enough to show it to my boyfriend, and it even made him have a little chuckle.

I'm constantly in awe of how Korean cinema can invent and reinvent romance, and Petty Romance no exception. I was never bored; I laughed, I cringed, I sighed. This film was so hard to market because it had so many layers, a romance, a comedy, an adult manga. Every time I watch a Hollywood romance, be it a romantic comedy, or regular a weepy one, my cinematic stomach is just not satisfied (excluding 50 First Dates and She's The Man). Demand more from your Romances. If you feel the same way, I have compiled a list below of my favourite Korean romance films for you to get your teeth into. Happy romancing!

My Sassy Girl - a classic, and a good starting place for people new to Korean film.
A Millionaire's First Love - Your classic Korean tragedy, prepare the tissues, it's gonna get messy...
My Girl and I - high school tragic romance in beautiful korean countryside, with the added dimension of the Grandfather's story.
Daisy - a more grown-up tragic love triangle, an interpol agent chasing a master assassin, when an innocent girl gets caught in the middle. You'll need tissues again.
200 Pounds Beauty - although there are ongoing debates about the overall message of the film, as the protagonist gets full body plastic surgery, I found it very entertaining.
Crazy First Love - example of a well named film. I liked it.
Lost and Found - great film poking fun at Korean romance stereotypes, in a similar way to Petty Romance, so you should probably watch the above films to get some of the jokes.
Please teach me English - characters are refreshingly normal, mundane even, the leading male is an assistant in a department store's shoe section. Which makes the dramatic romantic parts all the more touching!

No comments:

Post a Comment