Sunday 10 February 2013

Chinese Love Songs 唱一曲情歌


With St. Valentine's Day just around the corner, it's an opportune moment to share some of my favourite mandarin love songs with my own translations. My apologies that so many of them run on a theme of unrequited-ness. I assure you it's all coincidence.

Only for Love 我用所有报答爱 - 张靓颖 Jane Zhang (from The Banquet)


只為一支歌, 血染紅寂寞。 只為一場夢, 摔碎了山河
For only a song, blood stained my loneliness red. For only a dream, I have shattered the whole country
只為一顆心, 愛到分離才相遇. 只為一滴淚, 模糊了恩仇
For only a heart, I parted with love but reunited too late. For only a tear drop, I confused my friends with my enemies.

我用所有 報答愛, 你卻不 不回來
I use all that I have to repay your love, but you still will not come back to me.
歲月 從此一刀兩段. 永不見 風雨 風雨 風雨
From now the moon is sliced in two, I will never again see the wind and rain, wind and rain, wind and rain.  


Painted Heart 画心 - 张靓 Jane Zhang (from Painted Skin)


看不穿 是你失落的魂魄, 猜不透 是你瞳孔的颜色.
I cannot see through to your lost soul, I cannot guess the colour of your eyes. 
一阵风 一场梦 爱如生命般莫测 
A gust of wind, a dream, a love as unpredictable as life itself
你的心到底被什么蛊惑
Your heart, what has bewitched it so?

你的轮廓在黑夜之中淹没, 看桃花开出怎样的结果
Your silhouette disappears into the night, I watch the last of the peach blossoms open, 
看着你抱着我 目光似月色寂寞, 就让你在别人怀里快乐 
I watch you, holding me, your gaze as lonely as moonlight, so I let you find happiness in someone else’s arms.

爱着你 像心跳难触摸. 画着你 画不出你的骨骼. 
Loving you, as untouchable as a heartbeat. Drawing you, I cannot draw your skeleton.
记着你的脸色 是我等你的执着,  你是我一首唱不完的歌 
Remembering your face, determined to wait for you, you are my never ending song.

爱着你 像心跳难触摸. 画着你 画不出你的骨骼. 
Loving you, as untouchable as a heartbeat. Drawing you, I cannot draw your skeleton.
记着你的脸色 是我等你的执着, 我的心只愿为你而割舍
Remembering your face, determined to wait for you. My heart hopes only for you, I’ve not given up.


Love at Kangmei 康美之恋 - 谭晶 Jing Tan



 一条路 海角天涯. 两颗心 相依相伴. 
One road, to the ends of the Earth. Two hearts, lean on one another.
风吹不走誓言, 雨打不湿浪漫.
The wind cannot sweep away a promise, the rain cannot wash away a romance.
意济苍生苦与痛, 情牵天下喜与乐.
Wishing to ease people’s pain, our hearts fill with joy.

一条路 千山万水, 两颗星 无怨无悔. 
One road, over mountains and seas. Two stars, without regrets.
风吹不走誓言, 雨打不湿浪漫.
The wind cannot sweep away a promise, the rain cannot wash away a romance.
意济苍生苦与痛, 情牵天下喜与乐. 
Wishing to ease people’s pain, our hearts fill with joy.

明月清风相思. 丽日百草也多情 
Bright moon, calm breeze, thinking of each other. Beautiful day, fragrant grasses, how many feelings! 
两颗心长相伴, 你我写下爱的神话
Two hearts stay together forever, you and I will write a fairy-tale romance. 

明月清风相思, 丽日百草也多情 
Bright moon, calm breeze, thinking of each other. Beautiful day, fragrant grasses, how many feelings! 
康美情长相恋, 你我写下爱的神话
Kangmei’s love lasts forever, you and I will write a fairy-tale romance.



Passing Rain 過雲雨 - 張敬軒 Hins Cheung



天空剛下了幾場雨 看街上無人不多
It has been raining, and I see no one on the streets.
現在的你在做什麼 還有沒有在想我
What are you doing right now? Are you thinking of me?
快樂是否曾來過 探訪我們兩個
Did happiness not call here once, and visit you and I?
誰都不想讓自己錯 剩下了自己一個
Who doesn’t think they have made a mistake, when abandoned all alone?

找到你愛的咖啡店 嘗試去感應著你
I find the coffee shop that you loved, to try to connect with you.
喝一杯低糖的Latte 你還會想嘗一口
I drink a sugarfree latte, do you still want to try a sip?
快樂是否曾來過 探訪我們兩個
Did happiness not call here once, and visit you and I?
誰都不想讓自己錯 剩下了自己一個
Who doesn’t think they have made a mistake, when abandoned all alone?

*春夏秋冬 有多少人會走
Spring, summer, autumn, winter; how many people will leave?
春夏秋冬 有多少人會留
Spring, summer, autumn, winter; how many people will stay?

傳聞你身邊有個他 兩個人很快樂嗎
Rumour says someone else is by your side now, are the two of you happy?
聽說你跟他提起我 是否對我也牽挂
I heard that you mentioned me to him, was it to lead me along?
快樂是否也來過 探訪你們兩個
Did happiness not call here once, and visit the two of you?
誰都不想再讓你哭 剩下你自己一個
Who doesn’t want to cry again, when abandoned all alone?

外面的雨下得太久 我的心感覺冷漠
The rain outside has been falling for too long, my heart feels forgotten,
看到這一場過雲雨 你是否會想起我
I see the storm clouds are passing, do you still think of me? 


Wandering Songstress 天涯歌女 - Shanghai Restoration Project's Version   

(seen in Street Angel 1937 and Lust|Caution 2007)


天涯呀海角 觅呀觅知音
To the ends of the Earth and edges of the sea; searching, searching for my soulmate.
小妹妹唱歌郎奏琴
A young girl sings, a boy accompanies with a zither.
郎呀咱们俩是一条心
My dearest, our hearts are one.
哎呀哎呀郎呀 咱们俩是一条心
Aiya aiya my young man, our hearts are one.

家山呀北望 泪呀泪满襟
From my mountain home, I gaze North. Tears, tears fall and wet my gown.
小妹妹想郎直到今
I miss him endlessly.
郎呀 患难之交恩爱深
My dearest, love that lasts through hard times is the deepest.
哎呀哎呀 郎呀患难之交恩爱深
Aiya aiya my young man, love that lasts through hard times is the deepest.

人生呀谁不惜呀惜青春
In life, who does not cherish the springtime of youth?
小妹妹似线郎似针
A young girl is the thread, her man is the needle.
郎呀穿在一起不离分
My dearest, once threaded together they are never to part
哎呀哎呀 郎呀穿在一起不离分
Aiya aiya my young man, once threaded together they are never to part.

No comments:

Post a Comment